Friday, September 24, 2010

Baptism

I am going to be baptized Sunday morning.

This summer I took a mandatory class for grad school at CCU called History of the Restoration Movement. While I do not agree with everything the Restoration Movement teaches regarding baptism, the class did open my eyes to the importance of baptism and the fact that it really isn't "optional" for Christians. It is a Biblical command. So when my pastor announced that there would be a baptism service this Sunday, I felt that now, at the tender age of 31, I should make a public confession of my faith.

I have to admit I am nervous, very nervous. I feel vulnerable about the whole thing and I am not sure why. If I had my way, I would prefer for Steve and I to go to a private place (creek, river, or pond), we could pray together and he could baptize me. Some how that doesn't seem to be the historically accurate way for this type of thing to done, so Sunday morning, in front of a bunch of people I don't know very well, I am going to "take the plunge".

I am quite sure that no-one is going to see a dove or hear a voice from Heaven when my wet head comes up out of the water, but I hope that God is pleased just the same.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mandy, I had been a Christian 19 years when I finally took the plunge. I just never saw it's importance. It was never emphasises in the holiness churches I grew up in. When I attended a Baptist church after the age of 18 then it was emphasised way too much. I've always been a rebel and I don't go with the flow just for the sake of it. But, about 2 years ago God really began speaking to me about this. Someone said in my church here in England that Jesus asked to be baptised. Are we better then Jesus if we feel we don't need to be baptised? That rattled my thinking process and I began to study a bit more about it's importance. I agree there's nothing special about the water... it didn't save me. But, somehow the act of surrender and obeying what Jesus told us to do did something in my heart. Since then I feel my faith has moved to a whole different level.

I will be praying for your baptism. I pray it will be special to you and to those who witness it.

Anita in England

Sonja said...

I was baptized in college, and it remains a moving and incredibly special memory. The symbolism and the simple act of obedience made it a beautiful experience. Wish I could be there to witness this moment with you!

Adam & Val & Aubrey said...

Good for you! I was baptized a couple of years ago while we lived in Cayman. My parents were there preaching/singing for the Easter Convention. One thing they do every year is after the Sunday morning service, is go down to West Bay Beach and have a Baptismal service. Adam and I decided that it would be a great time for us to both do it. I was especially honored to have my dad baptize me in the Caribbean Sea! :) The bad part was, when they went to "dunk" me, I lost footing and with it being salt water, my feet just started to float! Kinda funny, but definitely a good memory.